Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

11.17.2005

Sigh!

Just got back from Ipswich. Went to visit mon ami Bonnie to see Harry Potter 4! I loved it, I thought it excluded some of the most cumbersome parts of the book (Rita Skeeter in particular) and it was very hilarious. Everyone is looking so grown up, Bonnie and I kept muttering 'hubba hubba' and cracking up.

Sadly, did NOT finish my Weasley, but I have a really good story!After my first botched intarsia attempt, I settled on top-down with a little duplicate stitch. I probably won't finish by tomorrow, because I was totally playing with my new drop spindle! Look at my teensy hairball! It's so overspun in some areas and basically still roving in others, but it's SO cool to do.

Anyhow, I knit during the movie and I'm really close to being done now. I had planned tiny cap sleeves because of my dearth of yarn. It's a discontinued color, and I bought it over a year ago in Amherst. Bonnie and I drive by this tiny shop called Loom and Shuttle (oddly, they didn't sell any weaving supplies) and what do I find hanging out in a sale basket? ONE BALL OF MY WEASLEY YARN, in the same dyelot no less! Can you believe that!? I think I'll be able to squeeze out 3/4 length sleeves now.

I started these for Eric, they have fingertip-less gloves under that mitten flap, and I have to redo the thumb, it was much too large. The yarn is Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky and the pattern is from the new Lopi book.

AmyLovie tagged me!

What is your all-time favorite yarn to knit with?

I love Noro Kureyon. It feels homespun and the colors are absolutely mesmerizing. I don't find it scratchy, and the color changes mark your progress, which is great motivation. Plus, it's from Japan! It makes you sing "It's a Small World After All" while you knit. I love most Noro yarns.

Your favorite needles?
Addi Turbos for almost everything, but I like my Susan Bates Crystallites too. They're fun, light and have a very pointed tip. And a Denise kit is a very handy thing to have around.

The worst thing you ever knit?
I haven't enjoyed the beastly big knits for work. They're supposed to be simple so that even inexperienced customers will be compelled to knit them. That means they're usually not challenging. And knitting under a deadline isn't very fun, I'm not good with deadlines =/

Your most favorite knit pattern (maybe you don't like wearing it, but it was the most fun to knit)?

Stefanie Japel's Minisweater really showed me what could done from the top-down. From there I was drawn to classic top-down gurus Zimmermann and Walker and now that I'm starting to design, it's the design vocabulary I use most. Oh, and I used all the green yarn I own and it looks like a dino. I like dinos.

Most valuable knitting technique?

Confidence and sense of humor. When I'm helping beginners they often say "I'm so dumb!" or "I am doing it wrong". I tell them that as long as it doesn't unravel, it's okay! Sure, there are correct ways to do things, but if you would be happier improvising a method for doing something, I say go for it. Knitting shouldn't confine creativity, it should set it loose.

Best knitting book or magazine?
Amy said: "I'm a big fan of free patterns a la Knitty, Spun, MagKnits, and the new Anti-Craft" and I agree. It's exciting to support emerging designers. I am a huge fan of Craftster.org as well. I love the aesthetic of Interweave and I used to love Rebecca when it was 'auf Deutsch'. As for books, I think Maggie Righetti is hysterical and invaluable. And of course I love EZ.

Your favorite knit-a-long?
None yet really, I do lurk on a few though. It's nice to have a little peer pressure, and show and tell is always fun. But again, not good with deadlines!

Your favorite knitwear designer?
Stefanie Japel, many of the Rowan designers (Louisa Harding, Kim Hargreaves, etc.), Teva Durham and a lot of the Craftsters! And Elizabeth Zimmermann, who a knitting philosopher in my opinion.

The knitwear item you wear the most (how about a picture of it)?
My fake Klaralund. My eyes look so wacky when I resize images.

I tag Spark and Huelo, my two co-workers/bloggers.

Time to finish up my Weasley once and for all!

Cirilia

P.S. Sorry about the bad pictures, it's dark here around 5:00 p.m. now so I can't get any nice natural light most of the time.

3 Comments:

Blogger skg said...

i'm glad you like HP4! and YAY for finding a random skein of the jo sharp to finish your sweater!

eric's mitten looks really nice, and your minihank of yarn is awesome, b/c you made it yourself! ooh, check out marnie maclean's blog for a link to a sweet drop spindle maker. they are one of a kind carvings and absolutely gorgeous!

thanks for the tag ;-)

7:08 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I loved your comment that "if it doesn't unravel, it's OK". I'm going to have to steal that one to use on my beginner students.

I'm so impressed with your spinning. Next, dyeing perhaps?

Amy

7:10 PM  
Blogger jess said...

ha! we were also hubba hubba-ing during HP4! obviously daniel radcliffe worked out for his big nude scene in the prefects' bathtub.

btw- why is your fake klaralund fake?

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home