Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.12.2006

Meet Clara.

It's early and I really should be getting ready for work, just wanted to post the sweater that kept me busy for the past month. I'd also like to apologize for A) being a lazy blogger and B) not responding to any of the nice comments I've been getting. Eric installed Linux so he's been hogging his computer and I've been sitting across the room staring bitterly. Yes, I have my own but it's in another room and I like to be right in the middle of things, if that makes sense.

Like the piece in the previous post, this is an original design for Valley Yarns. The yarn, Deerfield (available soon!) is an alpaca silk blend that is delicious to work with. The finished fabric is so nice I couldn't believe I'd knit it myself.

I had started this sweater intending it to be a deep v-neck wrap but a miscalculation totally screwed up the slope and it wasn't as vixenish as I wanted it to be. No matter, I put it on the mannequin and immediately the two crochet-edged fronts flopped over. Maybe because of their shape or maybe because of the 4 stitches of 1x1 ribbing I did at each front's edge...it looked perfect! Like I'd planned it all along! Like lapels! What's better is that instead of the ribbon ties I bought to sew on, you can get a cool shawl pin from the lovely couple that someone at Stitches West called (affectionately) "neo-hippies", the Moving Mud people.

Oh, I call this one Clara, after Clara Bow:

A note about the last sweater...the fact that I had to improvise a strapless bra and the fact that I have an abnormally long torso make the tank look really kind of immodest/not flattering (by my standards). I assure you it looks nice on properly undergarmemtted others!

Lastly, a recipe! My favorite summer treat, and delicious if you like Brussel sprouts.


Wash and cut sprouts in half lengthwise. Boil, steam or stick in microwave with a few inches on water for 2-3 minutes on high. In the meantime chop up the best bacon you can find and fry, fry, fry. When sprouts are soft enough to eat, drain and shake dry to prevent splattering. Move the bacon to the sides of the pan and place sprouts cut side down onto pan. Do no disturb for several minutes. After sprouts are browned on one side, stir in a tablespoon or so of spicy brown mustard. Remove from heat and devour.

Can I get any scientific opinions on how much I negate the goodness of Brussel sprouts with bacon?

Cirilia

8 Comments:

Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Not from me. Bacon is right up there with "Mother's Milk" and "local organic veggies" in my book. But then, my bacon comes from pigs I know by name, who dined on a vegetarian diet their whole little lives.

I love Clara. I also love Deerfield and wish it, and bamboo needles, would come in.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Huelo said...

OMFG BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND BACON.

meanwhile, the Skrillalund soldiers on...four more inches...the unveiling will happen tomorrow morning.

3:24 PM  
Blogger skg said...

wow!!!! i can't wait to feel that yarn and the sweater, my goodness, skrilla, you're amazing!

4:08 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Beautiful design Cirilia. You must be so proud. Webs is lucky to have you as an employee.

Amy

5:35 AM  
Blogger becky said...

I've just discovered your blog and I must say: What a talented designer you are. I always get a little surge of happiness when I see a young[er] designer come up with knit designs that look cool...be gone "hokey" designs. Keep up the good work!

Becky
skinnyrabbit.com

11:58 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

hi! thanks for stopping by my blog.
i actually just cast on for another green sweater last night. i think i might have to try something else first. i guess i'll have to stop by webs for some non-green yarn on friday.
i was thinking, since i spend every extra dollar on my yarn addiction, and you usually sell it to me, i think that makes you my dealer.
great job on the new designs. you've got major talent!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

That's probably the only way I'd ever eat brussels sprouts! Bacon and spicy mustard? Good lord. Also, thanks for the heads up on that film festival - Brian actually lives in Easthampton (but he's moving here next week) and wow do I wish I was there today, they're showing Stranger than Paradise and I've never seen it and it's out of print on DVD!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

This was delish! We had it tonight w/ turkey bacon (my weakness ...) and it was super-tasty!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home