Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

12.08.2006

Heh...

If I were a smoker, my knitting would be the equivilent of chain smoking--only taking several drags from each cigarette before I stubbed it out and cast on--er, lit up another. I got an itch to have a nice cozy sweater that I could, oh I don't know, wear this winter. I cast on for Spray in Rowan Plaid and one bad Audrey Hepburn movie later (Paris When it Sizzles), I had this:

Soft stuff, if mostly acrylic...

And again, with the goofy hats! I can't get enough of them, though I think they seriously embarrass those around me. The old lady in me doesn't give a hoot! This is an Elizabeth Zimmerman Ganomy hat from the Knitter's Almanac. Everyone--do yourself a favor--skip two lattes and BUY THIS BOOK. This is honestly my bedtime story. It's so oddly soothing, and funny.

I get such a thrill out of clever hats. I think the amazingly engineered ear flaps on this one make me look like a little Dutch girl. And look, it's my unblocked Weasley sweater--she wouldn't have blocked it, so I didn't either. I just put all the HP films in my Netflix queue--nothing makes me feel Christmas..ier.

Before I start swatching for the Enid-Along, I wanted to finish this old knit-along garment. I can't wait to have it done now that I've picked it up again--top-down/Stefanie Japel, you never fail me!

I even have the perfect buttons picked out...


This week, two very exciting things occur. The second Webs catalog photoshoot, with actual hair and makeup people, so key to me looking not wan but instead super-fancy. Also, Cinemaknits moves to the Valley!! SO excited about this. A knitter's party is totally in order and will happen after the holidays.

I've had the itch to travel recently. To London, or Montreal. Somewhere where there is an actual winter! I'm dreamily gazing at these fantastically modern Icelandic pieces to tide me over.

New Knitty--EHHHH. I mean it. Very impressed by accessories. Namely these lovelies. I wanted to dismiss Calorimetry as a cheap Panta rip-off but I think it's different enough to start it's very own craze.

I'll leave you with a better picture of Eric in his Cycling Aran, since the last ones were all doom and gloom. We're going to see the Evens tonight--a wool-respecting couple if there e'er were one.

Over and out,

Cirilia

P.S. Eric, spot the ancient history reference in this picture. Prize: High five.

7 Comments:

Blogger Truth About Miramar said...

I love that orange sweater... where did you get the pattern?

mickey

7:26 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Your sweetie looks so handsome in his sweater. Both are a keeper.

Amy

8:08 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

A knitting party is EXACTLY what I need - I wasn't kidding when I said I hadn't knit a stitch in weeks :( I can't believe we're moving in 60ish hours, I need to go find something to pack.

2:39 PM  
Blogger jess said...

Ga-NO-MY!!! Glad to see you've joined the cult of Ganomy. And perhaps you will inspire me to pick up my own Forecast... once you finish ;)

The cycling aran rocks!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

LOVE your orange forecast! It's going to be so great.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you do look like a Dutch girl! Very cute! Also, I love the simile of knitting to chain smoking--I'm very much the same way unless there's a deadline like Christmas looming. Otherwise, many things get started and very few get finished.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Huelo said...

what did you make that adorable hat out of?

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home