Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.27.2006

A keeper.

Today was absolutely effin' insane at Webs. There is no delicate, euphemistic way to put it. I feel like the team of six that worked today are now in a sorority of sorts. Why was it so busy? Take your pick:

1. Cummington Sheep and Wool.
2. Graduations/reunions for many of the 5 area colleges (UMass, Smith, Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire, also known as Scooby, Velma, Fred, Daphne and Shaggy).
3. Paradise City Arts Festival.
4. A bus filled with NY knitting and spinning guild members.
5. The last day of the anniversary sale!
6. General Saturday mayhem.

I have never been so glad to come home. Don't get me wrong, short of being

a. a Ben and Jerry's taster
b. a gossip magazine inspector
c. a squirrel whisperer

I can't imagine a more fun way to spend my time than working in one of knitting's bustling epicenters, but I've had it with this week. And just look at what I came home to:

Eric made me a bookcase! He just told his mother that he "karate chopped the wood with his bare hands". It's not done, it's missing a shelf and whatever stain/paint/decopage finish I can dream up but it's a BIG SHELF, for all my treasures!!

He also put my clothespins to use! This makes me happy since it was a big goose hunt to find them. I had to go to Wal-Mart (boo, hiss) to find any at all:

I'm 2 deep into a 6-pack of my favorite libation Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat (when I lived in Germany, it was common to mix beer and fruit juice and my favorite combo was hefeweizen and 'saurkirchensaft'/sour cherry juice) and I have absolutely no knitting content for you. I'm sorry. I recieved an unexpected store credit this week and spent it all very quickly. I have a lot of designing to do (for myself and maybe the Craftsters) in the next few days. Until then I'll leave you with some randominity. A picture from one of my favorite television shows, Everwood (cancelled?!), featuring Bright Abbott/Chris Pratt who will star in the LONG ANTICIPATED (by me) Strangers with Candy movie due out this summer.

Yeah, he's a babe, she's a babe, but do you see what I see? NORO!

P.S. The Cardigans? Really good band. Sexy. Incidentally my favorite item to knit since I wear them as much as possible and think they are the most versitile and economical use of knitting resources.

Last cool thing for today, a picture taken at a recent outdoor show which was pure Western Mass magic (it is Phil Elvrum from Mount Eerie). This was taken when he was singing a new song--he had to consult his notebook for the lyrics. There was a bonfire, marshmallows toasting and the bass drum is lit from behind. During Jason Anderson's set he asked us to leave the warmth of the bonfire and go to the middle of a field. He asked us if we wanted to "get tribal" and improvise songs. It was dark and though we started out shy it slowly became beautiful. Jason asked "is this too weird?" and someone shouted "let's make it weirder!!" It was super fun.


Das ist alles!

Cirilia

7 Comments:

Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Pooooor Cirilia! Meg said it was bad.
But coming home to Eric, beer and a bookshelf??
And Walmart is about the only place on earth to buy reasonably priced clothes pins. Sad but true. They also have borax, cheap. And canning jars.
Be Careful What You Wish For. Being a ben and kerry's taster is like working for dunkin donuts. After about a week, the joy wears off and it all tastes like, well, to borrow a phrase from Mr W, "like dirt".

3:28 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

it was the hadley flea market and yes, that's an apron! the pocket fits a ball of yarn perfectly, so i could knit standing up. someone saw me knitting and asked me if webs sold fun fur because she couldn't find the colors she wanted anywhere. i tried to tell her about all the yarn she could buy there, but she was like "no, i just want purple fun fur"
that bookshelf is great (and huge), what a sweet surprise.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Dena said...

Sorry I wasn't available to help out on Saturday with company in town. I did get to go to Cummington, but it was not the best time chasing the kids. And it ended with Ella having the wipe out of her life on the black top. Hope you're having a long, relaxing and enjoyable break from work.

9:46 AM  
Blogger jess said...

cardigans! i am a huge cardigan fan but have never knitted one, because i feel like i've never seen a pattern that is just right. can you recommend any favorite cardigan patterns?

7:36 PM  
Blogger amy said...

I was at Webs Saturday. I got there right when a bus of little old ladies did. I was only there for a ball winder and swift. My two male companions thought the seating area was hilarious- because it's so obviously for men (Sports Illustrated magazines). I wanted to look around some more but it was a little crowded. Gotta go during a quiet weekend.

7:13 AM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

How silly of me to ask if you would be at Cummington?! I can completely relate to the madhouse Webs must have been. Several bloggers who were at the festival were heading to Webs as soon as they were done. Jess and I thought about it for a second, just a second though. Oh my. Glad to hear you guys made it through and what a lovely thing to come home to a bookshelf!

7:49 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I'm glad you survived. We are having our first sale ever this weekend. Nothing like y'alls, but it should be fun.

Amy

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home