Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.23.2006

Tons of words.

The tent sale is OVER!! It ended with a hail-storm bang, and while a group of us frantically tried to move everything back into the garage, the yarn-buying persisted. My boss offered a perfectly decent bag of fuschia merino wool to a woman for FREE and she balked: "But it's for a boy, it's the wrong color!". Insantity. But, I will miss it. I don't think I'll be able to quit Webs cold turkey come September, and I hope I can be useful there once or twice a week at least.

It occured to me that the past few months have gone by in a blur and I haven't done a thing for Project Spectrum, except by accident. Well, no more. My interest in color is multi-faceted, informed by art theory and spiritual association. I am not a religious person by any means but I like the role color plays in Southeast Asia, specifically in Indian culture and yoga practice. I have never chosen a favorite color because I am drawn to almost all of them at different times for different reasons. This makes it hard to dress myself sometimes, since my closet is a cacophony of color!

May is for green and green is the closest thing to a favorite color that I have. For me green most often represents verve. It's energizing for me and I find it beautiful in almost all it's incarnations, from the quietest olive to the most exuberant lime. After two weeks of solid rain here in New England, the landscape is such an intense swath of lush, flickering green that I am almost overwhelmed.

This love for green defintely manifests itself in my knitting. My stash is overflowing with the shade and I have to make a conscious effort to not make it a default. Since I started knitting swatches for the store, you can see all of my little green flags hanging on hooks next to shelves and shelves of yarn. This is a mini-sweater I made with green scraps, and it's only a tiny fraction of my greens:


This picture is a totally unintentional homage to Zach Braff, who I love:


In my spiritual context, green is the color of the fourth chakra, located at the same level as the heart and it represents love, especially unconditional, empathetic love. It links intellect and spirit. It's interesting to me because according to yogic belief we spend about 7 years in each chakra, and it's the one I'm currently in.

In case this sounds like crap (and believe me, I'm the world's biggest skeptic) there are parallels between developmental psychology and the chakra stages. For instance, adolecents are in the third chakra, which is located at the solar plexus and concerned mostly with personal power, self-esteem and self-image, and willfullness. Sounds like that age (14-21) to me!

This might be getting in too deeply, but I consider myself a Unitarian Universalist (I'm in good company!) so for me these ideas about chakras are interesting and useful, but are by no means the only thing I believe.

Hope you're having a nice Monday,

Cirilia

P.S. Check out this hilarious transformation from knitter to junkie. Can't say I don't relate!

5 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Give up a bag of free yarn? Insanity!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I love both of those pictures! And I love that movie, so, so much.

If you like green, you should try Hill Country Yarns Pecan Grove colorway. I knit my sockapaloooza's socks out of it and loved all the variations of green in it. And green's not even my favorite color (no offense, but I love red!).

8:57 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Zach is the voice of Chicken Little. I love Chicken Little...

also cannot believe someone turned down a bag of free yarn, unless it's like a tag sale, when you say "FREE! TAKE IT ALL!!" and the people run for their cars like you're trying to hurt them.

1:01 PM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

Hey, thanks for the link!It was definately an interesting experience. Funny thing is I got a call from my MIL and FIL tonight because they thought I was in real trouble with...the law... for bringing my knitting! I could hear them shaking when they said, "knitting needles could be dangerous you know"! Have they been afraid of me all this time? :-)

Are you going to Cummington this weekend? There's a blogger brownie meet up thing at some tent somewhere.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Cerella said...

You and I have very similar names! Mine is Cerella (pronounced like mozarella.) I LOVE the mini-sweater that you knit. It's lovely!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home