Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

1.02.2007

Resolved.

Hi, Happy New Year! I just installed Photoshop which should help me to be a better blogger in two specific ways--I would like to venture out of the apartment for more of the photos I take, and I'd like to update more frequently so that I don't have to make these massive photo-heavy posts every two weeks. I've been "busy" but in a very scattered way, but I promise that 2007 will (hopefully) see a more focused Skrilla...

Eric and I went to Salvie's in Spencer, MA and I cleaned up quite nicely. I wasn't expecting to find anything, but I found some irresistible basics. Too 'boring to photograph': a black merino cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves, a tight and tagless black cashmere (?) sweater with some holes that make it look very cool and deconstructed, and a big wooly saddle shouldered sack the color of pea soup. Also, a cashmere/silk/wool (79% cashmere!) cardigan, with huge already mended holes in the elbows, which I patched!


Clearly, I'm quite happy with the result. I wanted to go with fuschia or lime green but Eric talked me into a nice neutral brown. It's some brand of alpaca knit in seed stitch. If anyone would like specific directions, let me know. This was quick and I feel like it's a whole new, much cooler sweater now.


Since I pretty much only shop Salvie's and sale racks, I've started to splurge on good shoes. This is kind of justifiable because I have a tarsal coalition that I don't "treat" in any other way, but it can be quite painful when I'm standing or walking for a long period of time. Anyhow, I suddenly get the fuss! I tried the felt ones at first and couldn't get a good fit, but these are amazing! I saw Kate wearing these at Webs and instantly realized that the strap would keep me from falling out and twisting my (already bad) ankle. She also made me realized that they're the perfect way to show off handknit socks. Now, to knit them...heh.


Occupying both the small improvements/thrift store score category is my Ganomey with an (improvised) flower pin. If you want details, I can give 'em but I'm actually planning to make a lot of these and then post about my 'technique'. Also featured: my 100% lambswool scarf, woven in Scotland, a whopping $1.50!! Look at that sky! That's my favorite, pastel sky and black black trees. Nikki McClure does a lot of that:



Earlier today I saw beautiful tree that looks like a woman in a backward yoga bend:

What next? Knitting? Clothes? I suppose this 1/2 an Enid is both:


In other news, I hacked up an old sweater, felted it and covered a little lumbar support pillow with it. The rest of it will become a new apron for Stitches West in February. Maybe this year the temps in Cali won't be freakishly cold again. We rented a convertible and it was miserable! P.S. Why haven't I been privvy to the amazing Nigella before today?? I mean, I knew of her but I was sort of over all the celeb-chefness...she is so so cool. I should've known, two favorite bloggers are always raving about her.


Another clothes/knit combo, a Calorimetry in Alchemy Lonestar in my new favorite color and an amazing wool/cashmere jacket that I scored for under 10 bucks.


I suspect it was homemade from a Vogue Pattern, a lot of the seams are lumpy and look at this label:

Another score, a little boy's school blazer:


Uh, I've been watching a lot of America's Next Top Model reruns...Eric just said "ohhh, are you in the Strokes??" Yeah, so I'm practicing poses because I was more than a little stiff at my last faux-toe shoot. I seem to be stuck with the hands-jammed-in-pockets approach.


And my last ridiculously lucky find, a grey J.Crew all-wool sweater with lonnnng PUFFED SLEEVES (what's up, Anne Shirley?) and a cute keyhole closure in the back.

Lesson for the day--one ladies trash is another's treasure =)

CR

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, you did score on all those finds! I always find at those places, motivation is worth so much more than money. If you take the time to dig, it will pay off. And those shoes are wicked cute!

7:05 AM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

Holy cow, those are some amazing finds. I love the elbow patches and am almost wishing I had something with holes to justify patching. Cute cute amazing stuff--including the shoes--I once had a pair and wore them out within a year and a half. Sigh. Have yet to find another pair on ebay or the like.

1:04 PM  
Blogger honeybrown5 said...

That's my girl....all those Salvie finds....
I've been on the hunt for a black trench coat...or black lacy cocktail dress....circa 50-60's.
Did you see the NYC New Year's show w/Christina Aguilera. The costume designer suited them all up in trench "dresses" in black w/black heels, stockings. Practical and very classy. I'm singing at my company Awards Dinner Saturday night...and I'm bent on getting a "find" for the occasion. I found some funky black boots with skinny heels for $10 at a bargain discount store and I know I can find something to pair it with. Love the elbow pads...you look like a cuddly teddy bear---you look just like you did at 3 or 4 yers... BIG BROWN eyes....sweet smile....you have a Latasian look. (Latin/Asian) look. Keep modeling!
I'm experiencing such enjoyment working with the sage green yarn you gave me at STITCHES EAST. It has a knubby, rough texture and it masages my hands...when I knit. Little Sister, Jovon....cast on 40 stitches and knitted her first row. I couple of snags...but she's so PROUD of herself. I got her a youth knitting kit for a couple of bucks and she feels part of the "knitting" family now. Anyway.....talk to you soon....will mail packages mid-month...lots of stuff happening....love mom

4:20 PM  
Blogger Huelo said...

You got the Maryjanes! Are you sure you're the same girl who's currently on the front page of yarn.com? The "Suburban Siren," as I've nicknamed her?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Johanna said...

Oh, lovely! I've never found anything that cool in a charity shop. the grey sweater is the best!
Great blog by the way, I'll have to bookmark you.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Leyna Faye said...

I can't belive you scored those at salvation army! I loved loved loved the elbow patches! How did you do it?

10:24 AM  
Blogger hotsauce said...

I recently fell for Nigella too! I heard her describe cupcake frosting as "shiny and glossy, just like white patent leather" and it was lurve.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Cerella said...

Our names ARE quite similar! I love your blog....you are soo cute! :)

6:04 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I think I'm going to copy you and knit a red Ganomy hat. I tried to choose a different color, but it's the only thing that matches both my coats and scarves.
Sorry?
xo

1:50 PM  
Blogger petalsandtwigs said...

Hi there...I absolutely fell in love with your sweater with the brown patches. I have a sweater that needs some patching up and that would go great with it. Do you happen to have a pattern for it? I came across your blog from the Blueprint website and I enjoy reading your posts.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home