Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

1.04.2007

Wa-wow-whee-whoa!

So. The world is conspiring against me and my habit. I got a clever, but irritating email from Knit Picks offering me a plethora of ways to organize my stash. I have it pretty under control but I've been making an effort to photograph it all so I have a inventory that allows me to "look" at my yarn without digging it out of its various hiding places. After reading these posts from Dena and Veronique I realized that my stash is a monster. This was affirmed when I started uploading to Flickr and had to upgrade to a Pro account to fit all the pictures. Here are the grand totals for my tags (I'm new at Flickr, and for those who are also: those are the labels I put on each picture)--be aware that there are some overlaps and exceptions! I've included WIPs, some of the yarn was tagged with 'sweater' and 'cardigan' because I haven't decided yet.

Sweater: 50
Cardigan: 39
Coat: 3
Jacket (really, this should just be lumped with the Cardigan category):9
Tank: 16
Vest: 6 (meaning I'd wear a shirt underneath, in true 'sweatervest' fashion)
Socks: 43 (pairs)
Lace: 15
Shawl: 12
Scarf: 21
Wrap: 7
Hat: 16
Gloves: 6
Handwarmers: 4
Bag: 7
Toy: 3
Pillow: 1
Random: 60+ balls of varying sizes

The only stomach turning parts of this exercise? Realizing that I don't have any crappy yarn. I've edited all of it out and now I'm left with a huge stash that I don't want to give up. Sigh. Also, I hardly ever finish the socks I start but I find sock yarn to be the most collectible thing in the world--cheap, colorful, fun...gotta stop!

What does this mean? Sign me up for Knit From Your Stash 2007. It seems like everyone has a long list of clauses that allow them to enage in stash enhancement but I'm really interested in reducing my stash so I've kept mine to a minimum:

-if I'm running out of a project yarn.
-if it's already in my hold bag or on order as of 1/10/2007 (I just edited my hold bag at work, and I have two orders out for small bits of yarn).
-if I'm out of state and happen to find something really cool that will commemorate a trip (I'm hoping to travel much more this year, and then there is Stitches West...)

Okay, that's not so minimum...time for me to get knitting!


Oh, and hello to all the new commenters! I promise, most posts aren't as photoshooty as the last one.

CR

P.S. ETA: I just placed an order at Namemaker for two different kinds of custom labels. This will hopefully be incentive to finish, finish, finish!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like your Borat reference. I too just posted my own Knit From Your Stash-related post. But my rules are a lot more strigent. Some might even say impossible.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Dena said...

Hmm, I'm feeling better about my stash already. That's a lot of sock yarn. Good job.

3:26 PM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

Wow, as someone who knits sporadically at best (or in one giant burst right before Christmas), I am impressed by these stashes. I really try to stay away from the yarn store unless I have a very good idea of exactly what I'm going to do--and I'm terrified of sock patterns.

Also, I saw an advertisement in a knitting magazine yesterday where you were pictured. All I could think to myself was, 'Gasp! I know her (kind of)!' Very cool.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Greeley said...

Hey! I just stumbled across your blog. I was the one taunting you with my Fibre Co. Sierra cardigan at the WEBS sale.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Greeley said...

um, Sienna cardi.

5:05 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

While your stash does make me feel better about my own - or actually worse, as I am obviously lagging behind in stash acquisition - I am not going to succumb to this "knit from your stash" thing. I am saving my stash for my retirement when I will sit and knit endlessly for myself. Or a national yarn emergency. Whichever comes first.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Anushka said...

You have made me feel much better about the bags of yarn hiding at the back of my cupboard. Thank you!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

This is so organized of you! My stash is a bit of a hap-hazard mess. My basement has my rubbermaid bins of stash that most likely won't see the light of day anytime soon, then in my front hall closet is a combination of stash that might get used soon, a few WIPS or projects to be and more needles than we have at the store. My needle stash is truly an atrocity. Then, in my office (at home) in the corner are a few of my knitting bags with more WIPS and a small stash of "I'd like to make that" yarn and swatches. Then, there's the bag by my bed with one project I have been working on at night in my "finish my WIPs" effort and then there's the combo of the knitting bag I am carrying and the tote bag that has 3 WIPs that are next/part of the "finish my WIPs" effort. In my Lady B - bag du jour, there is one project and one skein of a new Valley Yarn to fiddle with. I think I just hurt my head.

4:20 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

wow, is that a stash or a small yarn shop?

i feel better now. i hope you know that you've now enabled me to buy a whole lot more. i can say " i don't have a problem, have you seen cirilia's stash?"

4:18 AM  
Blogger http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I love having a stash. What if all the supplies in the world disappear??? That is a major reason to continue increasing the stash. hehe. Thanks for the label tip. Cute little guy there...

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah. does than mean you have yarn for 50 sweaters or 50 balls of yarn that could be used for sweaters?....

i need to get a job at webs. bring on the stash aquisition!!! if only we could teleport.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home