Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.26.2007

Minuteman Pride...

Andrew Card was booed throughout the presentation of the advanced degree he didn't earn and doesn't deserve. Pretty amazing that the UMass administrators refused to acknowledge the almost university-wide rejection of this action. While I'm being a bit political, I would like to say that I'm truly bummed about Rosie stepping down from the View early. It was exciting to see a show honor the fact that some people are spitting mad about the actions our government. It did sometimes devolve into bickering but it was bipartisan bickering, from ladies, on daytime TV! Elizabeth made an excellent point--male pundits engage in the same sort of hotheaded arguing all the time but no one reduces their passion as a symptom of gender.

In keeping with my spring cleaning frenzy, I got rid of even MORE hair!



With the blue bangs it's looking a little Cookie A. which is funny because I just bought a few of her sock patterns at Webs--Flicker and Twisted Flower, both very botanical. Since I've finally mastered the short row toe/heel, my sock confidence is on the rise.


Gotta say, I'm not in love with the Fleece Artist Merino Sock. I love the non-pooling/striping variegation, as I've said before, but the yarn itself is almost wire-y. It could be because I'm knitting it on size 0 needles, my 1.5 Knit Picks are in use and it felt a bit loose on those anyway. I'm hoping a wash will relax it a bit. I can't wait to try the zig zag bind off on the toe!

Speaking of Webs, I'll be working there over the summer. That will probably mean a decline in yarn purchases arriving via post, but it's been fun to be a "civilian" yarn shopper this year. One of my favorite sites is so good I feel like I should keep it a secret, but that's silly. A lot of people are already fans of Handpaintedyarn.com. There is a link between Malabrigo and Handpaintedyarn.com...the main differences seems to me Malabrigo's focus on merino and the very good prices at HPY.com. I prefer the heartier wool over at HPY.com, it's still plenty soft and reminds me of Manos. By the way, how adorable is this tiger hat?!

This is Colonia in Madre Perla (top) and Marmol.


This is the lace weight wool in Lettuce:

And Emerald Viv:


All delivered within days, and for a song! So pretty it almost doesn't have to be knit...almost!

See some of you tomorrow in Cummington! Here's what a friend of mine had to say about it:

"I hope you have fun at your Sheep Versus Dog event. I think it's pretty effed up that you get such pleasure from seeing such cute animals rip each other apart, but who am I to judge? I'd put my money on the dogs."

Ha,

CR

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

If you love the FA merino sock, you should try their Sea Wool. Yummy.

Amy

1:57 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

i feel the same way about the merino sock. it's pretty, but it's not my favorite texturally. i tend to be distracted by the pretty and get over the rest when it comes to yarn, so i'll probably still use the other skein i've got.

the umass video is great, it seriously brought tears to my eyes, but i've always loved a good protest.
shame on umass! wtf were they thinking?

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

That video is AWESOME. I wish I was graduating this year, I would have booed my ass off.

3:39 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

I just knit the FA merino on 2.25mm needles, and found it made a nicer fabric than the 2mm, but wasn't quite as dense as I like my socks.

Thanks for the video link -- I'd read about the graduation, but it was awesome to see it! Love the new hair.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Nicole and Jenny (aka Stash and Burn) said...

That video is very moving. What was UMass thinking??

Love the haircut, love all of the yummy yarns. I look forward to seeing what you bring home from Webs this summer.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Brian W. Ogilvie said...

"UMass" wasn't thinking anything. An anonymous faculty member (probably an administrator, since many have faculty status) nominated Card. The dean of the relevant college signed off on the honorary degree under pressure from an unnamed source. As a faculty member of UMass Amherst I am ashamed of this "honorary" degree and proud of my students and colleagues who spoke out against it.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home