Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.12.2007

Incongruous.

So, it's officially spring here in Massachusetts, and it is almost glorious. I say almost because I'm going through some love life tribulations that are sorta neutralizing my spring high. To be honest this whole year has been one big trial, with graduate school and relationships. I'm doing my best to keep my spirits up and that means a lot of walks, water, fruit (I've finally developed a taste for it, thank goodness) and of course, crafting! Between the AMAZING RAVELRY (are you on it? Let's be friends!) and Project Spectrum, I've got plenty to keep my mind off of sad things (and you know, my schoolwork...)

Speaking of Project Spectrum, here are some scraps...

My February/March project is finally done. Here they are, very pleased with these. If they look a little fuzzy it's because I've already worn them a LOT. They are the ever popular Jaywalkers in STR Lightweight, the Lucy colorway.Those who are sensitive to pooling might want to avert your eyes now...




YELLOW: I've just now opened a package from Blue Moon Fiber Arts and one of the skeins was looked like it would be brilliant sunny yellow, but it's actually more like delicious peach ice cream, a soft orange:


I can learn to love it, but I'm in a serious yellow phase and I am a little bummed. I'm so into yellow at the moment that I'm seriously considering getting some serious shoes in 'avocado'. I learned about Remix from the painfully adorable Emily and it was perfect timing since I've recently committed myself to wearing REAL shoes at least 80% of the time. My feet are too bad for flip flops and canvas flats. Anyhow, yellow is perfect when your wardrobe is mostly grey and black, something I have in common with the lovely Jenny Gordy.

I have some big plans for this golden yarn that may not have been the wisest color choice. I know I can't wear yellow, but that doesn't stop me from liking it!


GREEN: My love for green yarn is well-known, and it hasn't weakened any. I'm planning on doing some sewing tonight, a dress out of this lovely branch-heavy print. I'll be sure to post it when it's done. Oh, the STR Hoofle Foofle had a friend, Jade:


PINK: I started a sock in a colorway that might as well be called Project Spectrum April/May, because it's a lovely lemon yellow, a deep raspberry and a bright emerald. It's actually Fleece Artist Merino Sock in Paris, and it's lovely. The pattern was a freebie that came with a Hello Yarn order. Thanks to Ravelry I realized that I'm kind of knit-stalking poor Adrian, I've knit about 6 things inspired by her knits! You know what they say about imitation...



Another 'pink' thought I had was on avoiding sun damage. It's become more and more important to me over the years and I'm channelling almost all of my frivolous cosmetic money into my stash. After several CVS sales and coupon cash-ins I finally have the ultimate non-sticky, non-smelly, non-irritating, non-blemish inducing stash of sun protection. You can read all about it at my Flickr page.

In other news, I was the happy recipient of a random act of kindness from a UK blogger who sent me a little project bag after I mentioned I liked hers. It's adorable, and this was such a nice surprise to get in the mail. I love getting mail, especially crafty mail.

Speaking of surprise mail...I'm starting to understand why the Sockapalooooza is bumming some people out...I haven't heard from my secret sock knitter or from the person I have. I've emailed my pal and left secret comments on the blog. I have to be honest, I was a little perplexed by all the people freaking out when they didn't hear from buddies after a few days but now I'm starting to feel like a....loooza. Ha.

Okay, I have killed a good couple of hours with this post, it might be time for me to get back to the schoolwork.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Veronique said...

Ooh, I love all that yellow!! And those shoes are so cute :)
Good luck with the dress. It looks amazing.

12:26 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I wish I could get on to Ravelry, but I guess all of the beta testers have been taken.

Have you tried the Clinique City Block? It comes in an SPF 20 or 45, and it is awesome for oily faces.

Amy

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Jaywalkers! I love STR and Hello Yarn also, I don't think I've seen a colorway from either of these vendors that I don't like.

I was born in the Boston area, extended family still there, so glad to hear spring has arrived.

And did you have to mention schoolwork? I working on being in denial here - I take the CPA Auditing and Attestation exam on Tuesday and am totally stressed about it. Think I'll go knit something...

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, btw...I haven't heard from my downstream socker yet (I've emailed her) and she has no blog. I guess I'll just send the socks and hope for the best but it kind of takes some of the fun out of the thing, don't you think?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Shrinkie said...

I have made contact with the person I am knitting for but haven't heard a peep from my pal :o(, so i feel your pain!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Great socks! Love the Paris colorway, too. Try not to worry about not hearing from your Sockapalooza pal. I'll cross fingers that it will all work out.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Hey, I just added you to my Ravelry friends (I'm on Ravelry as aswiminknits, just like my blog name!). I love the colors of STR that you just got. Nice and springy!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Tina - omme i London said...

I'm glad to hear you got the wee bag. I did get your email, but life has a way of getting in the way of time!
I adore your yellows and greens!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Carola said...

Lovely Jaywalkers and all the pretty yarn you are showing just makes me want to push the order button. But, NO!
Hey, don't worry about not hearing from your pals. It is not requested to contact your pal in this swap and in my experience from other rounds has also never been done. Don't worry, you will receive fine socks in the end.
PS. it might be also difficult for your pal to comment on your blog because you don't allow anonymous comments!

3:30 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

i love the finished jaywalkers, and i think you know my love for green runs deep like yours!
sorry about the lovelife troubles, i hope things get easier for you. maybe summer will be a time for superawesomefantasticness. you never know!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Whichy said...

I know I haven't heard from my upstream pal either, and it does have me a bit worried, especially cause their was a problem with my profile. But I am trying to not let myself get neurotic about it.

You have some really lovely yarn showing in that post - STR color-wise you might want to look at the colorway Sunstone to get a deep yellow.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home