Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

1.17.2007

Neophyte

Um. I may have...purchased another sewing machine? It seemed like a really good deal at the time...which was 4 a.m. I've had a raging case of bronchitis, and I'm not getting a whole lot of oxygen to the old brain. It still seems like a good deal to me 24 hours after the purchase, it has a metal frame and button hole function which are really the only two things I wanted that my awesome Hello Kitty machine doesn't have (also a Janome). I will work up the courage to get my 1940s Singer up and running...one day. Ambika over at the Fray is also working up the sewing nerve.

My knit from the stash vow has actually morphed into a glut of sewing purchases. I should really just stop going to Emily's blog so often, it always ends in monetary bloodshed, this time on a formidible (for me) Reprodepot haul and a nice selection of cheap New Look Simplicity Patterns to supplement the Sew U and Vogue Sewing I got for Christmas. I've read a lot of the Sew U book and I'm really digging the way it's written. Very reassuring.

A lot of cute freebies in the package! Maybe because I'm sort of their neighbor? They're based in Easthampton in Eastworks, same building at Lexie Barnes. I've been dying to make an order since I walked by their mini-warehouse during the photoshoot, drooling.

Details on all of this on my Flickr page.


This one is yet to arrive, and there is a mini-saga surrounding it:


I went on a cloth-y vision quest to score this beauty. After seeing an amazingly cute 21 wale corduroy Robert Kaufman print crop up on several Northwest blogs, I went on a copycat rampage hunting for it. A British site was selling it for double it's ordinary price, and I didn't feel up for paying that in addition to international shipping rates. I found some on JCaroline, but I really just wanted this plummy colorway.

I started to write a pleady email to Mariko begging for a one-time Super Buzzy "special" order then it occurred to me to just call the Fabric Depot where all these ladies bought the fabric. It isn't listed on their website but after many calls back and forth, they found it for me and are sending me yardage in my #1 color choice! They were short staffed because of the huge storm they're dealing with but they were great. I know first hand how hard it is to deal with a crazed crafter on a hunt and they were awesome. I'll be using it to make this very cute dress.

Anyhow. Clearly, I can't wait to get sewing. Next post, I promise to knock your SOCKS off (wink) with a couple of very clever things...

CR

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger MelissaKnits said...

that's more like it. careful use, you'll have it for twenty years.
Dress is cute little thing also, and love that fabric. Must go to this fabric nirvana...right after I finish my Current Project.

Wow. Their prices are awesome. Maybe a little trip now, like a little vacation day...

4:43 AM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

This post is not going to help me in my promise to myself to stay away from the fabric stores until I'm more experienced. Such great patterns and colors. Drool.

7:53 AM  
Blogger hotsauce said...

I had no idea Reprodepot was local too! I guess the Valley isn't so lame after all. Eastworks and Open Square are on my must-visit list.

8:11 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Love the fabric. You will look darling in that dress.

Amy

3:08 PM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

After getting comfortable with a straight stitch and successfully hemming 1 1/2 pairs of pants, I think I threw the timing off--at least, that's the only explanation for the nasty noise it was making. So I've been fiddling with it. Sigh.

6:33 PM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

PS- I'm tagging you :D

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home