Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

1.27.2007

SYNERGY!

Wow--so the whole world wants me to be a sewist. At least that's the pep talk I'm giving myself.

As I've said in my recent post, my yarn diet has mutated into a sewing notion, fabric buying monster. It's ugly, but awesomely fun. The notions live here:

And the fabric lives in these:


At the helm is wonderful Wendy Mullin and her book Sew U. I'm treating it as an old fashioned 'home correspondence course' and working my way through the book. I'm still in the 'getting all my gear' phase but soon I'll be tearing into my 15 yard bolt of muslin (one of the items on the gear list) to test out my new and fantastic retro looking machine. Did I mention that while trolling Wendy's past collections I've come across amazing 'models' like Amy Sedaris, David Cross and Amy Pohler? Well, I have, and this is proof that I'm chosen the perfect mentor.

Anyhow, I've been making a pest of myself at my local Jo-Anns (they did not appreciate it when I giggled after asking where I could find a dressmaker's ham) and I purchased one of Wendy's Built by You patterns. Later on, as I inspected my receipt, I realized that it was only 1.99!!! This had to be a mistake. I returned, learned that it wasn't and promptly got almost all of them, for less than 1/2 the price of just ONE at full price!

I am sending some to my favorite knitwear designer Stefanie, who is also feeling a bit of bobbin lust, a thank you gift of sorts. I needed to hear advice from an academic who is having a hardcore affair with crafts and she was just the lady to ask. Thanks again, Glampyre =) Oh, and in a show of solidarity at being photographed for knitterly purposes:

"I have to take like 50 photos and then go back through and throw out the badhair ones and the fatface ones, and all of the crazyeye ones…it’s so hard. I hate it."

The latest Webs catalog is hitting mailboxes soon. The sweaters are awesome again, especially Kirsten Hipsky--I don't understand why her fingers aren't bloody bones by now. Sorry, too gruesome? She manages to whip up sweater after sweater, all of them ingeniously constructed and truly unique in some way. In between amazing top-down gansey creations she creates gorgeous, gorgeous lace as if bewitched. I'm serious. She is one to watch people (though sadly, blogless).

I'll refrain from harping about my lazy eye and...Rubenesque face...and more questionable expressions. Let's just say I'm thrilled to be wearing such stunning, eye-catching sweaters. Heh.

Back to Built by Wendy--I'm reading my favorite magazine and I come across a piece on Kansas City. I saw a girl who looked familiar--Jenny Gordy, who entered the Sew U contest and is apparently another awesome Kansan designer/crafter/blogger. Inspiring? Yes.

That is all! I'm off to Mass MOCA free day! And it's snowing, finally!

CR

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger hotsauce said...

Hah, I was in North Adams today doing some work. I was going to stay and go to MOCA but got scared of the snow so I hurried up to drive home before dark.

4:15 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Darling, NEVER, NEVER pay full price for a pattern! JoAnne's has sales routinely that discount patterns by all major manufacturers to $1.99 or so, usually with a five pattern limit.

Ahhhh, you have so much to learn....I envy you the journey.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only whose Knit From Your Stash 2007 obligation has forced to buy fabric... Hope you had fun at Mass MOCA!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Elena said...

Lucky U - I'm planning to buy those patterns too, some day.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home