Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

3.13.2007

Home Ec x 2

I have a feeling you're all going to get soooooooOOooo sick of this top!


It's another Built by Wendy Home Ec top, and anticipate making about one zillion of these! My size takes just under 2 yards of fabric and it's the perfect project for trying out lots of different seaming/edge finishing techniques. It's getting super fast and I absolutely love wearing them, they are super comfortable. This one is also a size 10 but I've since purchased a new pattern and my next will be the right size, a little less fitted. Right now it's a bit snug under the pits and the back is a little blousy:


The best part--my very own label!! I had these made at Namemaker.com, I also have some 'skrillaknits' ones, I'll debut those as soon as I finish a dang sweater. I haven't come up with a good way to sew them on, any tips? This is the best I could come up with...


Lastly, it appears that my worrying about Interweave was for naught--the scholarly, reverent Eunny Jang is taking the helm! This is by far the coolest blogger hits the big time story yet. I'm psyched, I bet it's going to reach encyclopedic proportions!

Speaking of being excited about academics...I've been really up and down about graduate school this year. On the bad days I feel incredibly inept and frustrated, but on good days I feel the way Emily does about her artwork/cottage industry:

"It's strange to say, but The Black Apple has been pretty much a best friend for the last few years, even before I had my online storefront or blog. It has been my constant companion through two different wonderful-but-difficult-in-their-own-way relationships, the changing and shuffling locations and closeness of friends, and two big moves. People ask all the time for tips, or pearls of wisdom about the success of my cottage industry, and maybe it's as simple as that. It's my companion and if I'm not working for it, I'm thinking of it."

I just dug through some old papers looking for a syllabus from a colloquium I taught as an undergrad and it was really heartening to see that I'm pretty much following the trajectory I dreamed about 5 years ago...it's hard to stay the course, but I think I will. Speaking of Home Ec (my name for the easy peasy top), I'm cornering my thesis idea more and more, I'll tell you all about it soon...

Oh! A public thank you to all the Western Mass. blogladies who joined me on Sunday for a knit-together. We were all tempted to photograph it for our respective blogs, but we showed remarkable restraint. Inside joke time:



Laters,

CR

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger s.i. michaels said...

The top is too cute to get sick of. I wish I had advice about the labels--I haven't gotten any experience sewing them in tho I should probably look into it if I'm going to try to sell my handbags.

9:46 AM  
Blogger ruth said...

Remember when Webs was having their end-of-year sale, and you helped a girl find mint chocolate chip yarn for Eunny's endpaper mitts? And you liked her jewelry? Well, that was me. I found your blog yesterday, making me feel like it's a really small world. I just bought that Built by Wendy pattern too, and have made the dress with the diamond inset panel, except I didn't elasticize the bottom hem. I also agree that the redesign of Knits was poorly done, although unlike some bloggers, I don't think it makes it look more like a fashion magazine. Personally, I think the thing that makes it not flow properly is the fact that they didn't seem to use a consistent grid system for each page. Anyway, just saying hi.
Ruth

10:22 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

you're killing me with the cat picture! i was just thinking about how i could insert that joke into my next post.
i love version 2.0 of that shirt. your name already sounds like some cool indie clothing label.
thanks again for the invite, i'm glad i was able to overcome my social anxieties to get out and knit with everyone.

12:44 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

The top looks darling on you. Wear it with pride.

Amy

2:11 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

that cat is no joke. it's just scary.
love the top. i wish i had sewing time.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

The Home Ec top is so cute! The label is great too.
That is the best news about Eunny, isn't it? I am really looking forward to the next issue!

11:00 PM  
Blogger S. Knitty said...

Hey Cirilia, your tops are awesome! I wish I had the patience to sew, but for someone reason sewing machines seem to self-destruct whenver I touch them.

I've started my own blog now (although I'm not very good at this and I'm not sure if anyone reads it...) check it out!
sknitty.blogspot.com

I've got pics of those socks that I started in Cali.

11:32 AM  
Blogger skg said...

that's an adorable top, and it's very you ;-) i am actually knitting something (in between playing roller derby). i'm making ms. marigold by zephyr style. feels good to be making something significant.

oh, and btw, TOTALLY jealous about your stitches stash :-D

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I need to make that top too! I have the perfect fabric for it that is really nice but requires me to make something simple with it so I don't screw it up. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://meli-mello.livejournal.com/

8:31 PM  
Blogger Boffcat said...

I'm going to have to cave in and buy that book! And I think your labels look great as they are, but if you wanted to do them differently my mother used to sew them in place along the turned under ends, though you'd need to do that by hand which would be a bit fiddlier.

3:47 AM  
Blogger eleni georgiene said...

what A cute top!! I love it thats one of my favorite cuts. Isnt it fun wearing something you made!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger tiffany... said...

lovely lovely top! i just bought the pattern... do we have the same hello kitty sewing machine? the mint green one? oh la la!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Totally off topic, but your hair cut is the one I'm growing for...

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home