Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

8.07.2007

Sock FAME!

UPDATE: They arrived! My pal originally gave me carte blanche and when I investigated her site I found that she is a prolific, generous sock knitter! I inquired about her preferences and she said that she's been loving green lately, and lace. I'm not the best lace knitter...I hope the yarn is crazy enough to distract from my 'creative' solutions to lost YOs and forgotten decreases! We both grew up in Europe (she in Austria and me in Germany). I'm obsessed with Austrian art and sent her a ball of the new Hundertwasser yarn.

I'm finally mailing off socks to my sock pal--I hope they don't mind that I waited until the last possible day of the mail-off. I'm including some treats for her very adorable children. I had a lot in common with my pal but I am going to hold off on revealing more until she gets my package.



My sock pal will also have the distinction of wearing a sock that was a prop for a recent Lexie Barnes photoshoot! I love this picture, the photographer said I look like an architect's wife. I feel right at home in Lexie's tableaux and I can't shut up about the bags, especially my semi-new Darling with it's holsters for my water flask and umbrella!

Pattern: Belle Epoque from a friend's upcoming book Two-at-a-Time Socks
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Silkie in Beryl
Needles: Knit Picks, an assortment of the Classic Circulars, Options interchangeables and DPNs.

Notes: The yarn is pretty inelastic and fuzzy...I didn't love it as much as the classic Socks that Rock which is like perfectly kneaded bread dough (not the first food analogy I've used on this yarn). The pattern is written for the socks to be knit two at a time on one long circular using a sort of Magic Loopy configuration. I did that for awhile to test knit the pattern then switched to DPNs for speed's sake. This book is going to be a stunner, just you wait!

Lastly, I wanted to thank everyone who commented on my last post. Blogging is sort of like my personal pensieve but it's nice to know that people appreciate my often rambling posts. This Ravelry thread about what makes a good blog was...a bit frightening.

More soon,

CR

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Coincidentally I was looking at the Lexie Barnes website right before visiting your blog and was just thinking how cute those photos of you are (I like the laughing one). I still don't own a Lexie bag but it's on my wish list!

2:48 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

ok, I feel that it is supremely apropos that you, the biggest LB fan at Webs are posing holding a pattern that I, the second biggest LB fan at Webs designed.

Also because Belle Epoch is my personal favorite of all 16 or 17 or however many are in the book, and now, for a time it shall grace Lexie website and such, even if nobody can see it but me.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Oh SO cool! That picture is downright perfect. I can almost feel the stitches moving, there's such a quiet dynamism to the photo. Or something like that. =)

I think you should demand a domicile with just such a window, floor, and sofa. The gods of aesthetics demand it! And just from knitting with you, you make that kind of expression a lot. Very in-the-zone. I think it's great that they captured one of those candid moments. LB bags, for those who'd rather be knitting.

5:29 PM  
Blogger hotsauce said...

I love how the first page of that thread has more than one cat reference. I don't have anything in particular against cats or cat owners but... one of those cat sites looked like like inspiration for an SNL skit.
I think I'm coming by the store tomorrow to buy some stuff for my Ravelry Summer Camp Swap pal.

6:05 PM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

That picture is fantastic. Every knitter should get to look that chic.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Great photo! I would love to look that chic at any time - not just when I am knitting.
The wife of an architect? seems a bit funny. I guess because you are engaged in a 'domestic' activity? I am sure an architect could knit. But I digress.

I hadn't read the thread at Ravelry, but I sure have seen it mentioned on a number of blogs. Eek - that is the thing that one encounters by putting yourself out there: not everyone will like your blog. Then they can click away and not visit again - I think it is kind of pointless to get snarky about people's preferences. But, I tend to avoid conflicts of any nature as much as possible.

I am off to check out your Lexie Barnes link.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Fantastic photo!!! What a lucky sockpal!

7:09 PM  
Blogger stricken madchen said...

I am a very lucky sockpal! I love my socks & everything you sent! I can't wait to get to know you now. ;-)

Thank you so, so much!

11:02 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

great photo! i just checked out the lb site and they're all super cute!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Peacock Chic said...

Wow that is a great photo!! Makes me want to buy the bag and make the socks while enjoying my minimalist home. Guess the ad worked! You are a wonderful model and LB is lucky to have you!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

That is a fantastic photo- very elegant! And what a score on the gerat bag!!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home