Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

7.26.2007

Potter Haze

Is anyone else in a total Potter stupor? Book 7 made me feel like re-reading the entire series, which I've started. I'd already been heavily skimming the older books in anticipation of July's Potter-fest. I've seen the movie twice-the first time I was too distracted by the scenery! The films are so visually rich, it sort of makes the at times impressionistic take on the content forgivable in my opinion.

Of course I'm immediately drawn to anything that will translate to a knitting project. In this film I noticed a lot of Norah Gaughan-ish vests on Ginny, cables and some hexagons (maybe, hard to tell for sure). A lot of Luna's blue and lavender crochet was pitch perfect but Hermione's striped pullovers sort of bored me. I'm not a huge Hermione fan to be honest, I'm definitely over the smugness and her snottiness towards Ron...probably because Ron/Rupert Grint is one of my favorite Potter characters. His garments are always my favorite at well! The original Weasley sweater, the Animal Cracker hat, the swatch blanket (cannot find a single decent picture of it, just a hint of it in this Talk Soup parody), his ragg raglan, and now this plaid number:




I'm a huge fan. One of my job perks this summer was getting access to the Rowan image database (I know, heart attack, right?) and getting to see all the garments from magazine 42. There happens to be a sweater that resembles the latest Ron sweater, it's a saddle shoulder cardigan knit in Wool Cotton and 9 colors of Felted Tweed (hello, leftovers!). Oooo, awesome, I can link to it, there is a tiny picture here. The best part is the name--Striven. If you look at the definition for the word, you can't help but think of Ron.

There are projects on my mind that tie to Deathly Hallows, as well. I finally see the appeal of the Invisibility Cloak projects, I might use Jade Sapphire cashmere with a touch of sparkle. If you're on Ravelry, you can see my thoughts for the project I'm most excited about, Hermione's beaded bag with the Undetectable Extension Charm. I'm waiting for a purse frame to arrive before I get started. I'm actually knitting two versions, one lavender and one pale green. I've started the lavender one and it features a beaded cast-on with some smoky amethyst glass seed beads, size E/6.0. It will be a drawstring pouch with a rather obscure lace pattern. The green bag will be somewhat more formal, sort of like these (minus the odd fringe). If I had a million dollars I would have bought this amazingly apros pros Lion Queen purse frame.

I realize that some of you might be a little sick of Pottermania. If that's the case you might want to watch this, another parody that sounds like it was dubbed by a Moonanite (not work or kid safe!)




CR

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Ron/Rupert is my favourite too. Potter is a little too whiny and Hermione conveys all emotion by deep breathing - honestly, her scrawny chest is always heaving.

I think Ron's knits are the best too.

Luna was perfection in OtP. I think I should see it a 2nd time too - I am not sure how I really felt about it...

I can't wait to check out your purse at Ravelry - what a fantastic idea!

12:09 AM  
Blogger GP said...

I woke up this morning and looked around the house and said, "I think Harry Potter is taking over." There are books and DVDs everywhere I look. Everyone is going back and rereading all 7 books.

FYI–I finished 7 on Friday...I'm ready to discuss.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Dena said...

Oops, Bill's been using my computer again. GP is his log in, but it's my post.

6:57 AM  
Blogger christine (threedogknits) said...

I don't think I'll ever get sick of Pottermania. I think Ron's my favorite character, too. I really liked that wild scarf Mrs. Weasley gave for Christmas in OTP. Plus that plaid sweater of Ron's you mention here. PS: I can't read Book 7 until I finish my Sockapalooza socks. I haven't even opened the Amazon box yet, I know when I do I won't be able to put the book down. I estimate three more days until I can start reading - I'm in agony!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Well I haven't seen the movie or read the latest book as the kids and I are behind..about to start The Half Blood Prince. However I look forward to the Movie esp for the scenery as I heard (from my brother) that a view of a place we used to live is in the movie..when they are on the train to Hogwarts you see a view of an island on the west coast of Scotland...that's where we lived....so watching the HP movies is always kind of nostalgic making for me!
Love the new Rowan.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Well now I've seen the movie! We decided to go this afternoon....whilst the rest of the family were talking about their favourite bits I had to admit to paying close attention to the knitwear...I particularly liked Ginny's outfits....good colour combos....and yes now I miss Scotland loads!

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still mourning for the end of the series but this post on all the different inspiration knitting you got from the movies and books is giving me some hope. As for Ron's swatch blanket - I have been collecting old wool sweaters and felting them with the hope of making something similar for myself. I love that blanket!

*melanie from www.meli-mello.com

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that a bunch of people have responded with resounding love for Ron! I'm always more for the trusty side-kick than the main character. They always have flaws, great quirks, and goofiness, but never fail to come through in the end. Yay Ron!

6:16 PM  
Blogger normanack said...

I just noticed the swatch blanket for the first time yesterday -- is this the blanket on Ron's bed in Goblet of Fire? I put a still of it up on ravelry hoping for a little more information.
I wonder if it's in props storage somewhere, and if it would be possible to ask for a picture of it?

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home