Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.28.2007

Yeah, I got some problems...

Remember when I was going to not buy any yarn in 2007? Well, as you can probably already surmise, I "forgot" about my oath promptly after I made it. Last weekend I moved and came close to weeping when I realized how much yarn I've stockpiled in two short years. Eric was ridiculously patient with me and I suspect he finds the mania a little endearing but it was just unfair--his belongings took up about 1/6 of our tiny dwelling and of my 5/6s, 4/5 was yarn! Ugly.

I have plenty of stuff that I am no longer in love with and will try to sell, trade or donate. There is also some that I am in love with but I have a new philosophy--Knitter, know thyself. Maggie Righetti and the Stash and Burn ladies have really helped me with this, as well as knitters like Melissa, Ysolda and Adrian who design from scratch and make things that they actually wear.

What's troubling is the random loose ball/half balls...those aren't worth selling unless I put together some sort of grab bag. I think I've come up with a solution though. Maybe I will knit a bunch of hats with the beaded flowers I like so much. Come fall I'll try to get a table at some craft fair or farmer's market and maybe put the rest up on Etsy. I know I'm a slow, non-finishing knitter but I can make hats! That I can do. Come to think of it, I can probably make hats for little girls who hate wearing hats, like 8-year-old me, who quit the Brownie's because I thought the brown beanie was demoralizing (read: unflattering) chapeau. I have no television this summer and limited Internet access...kinda by choice. Of course I love both and I'm not morally opposed to either indulgence but when I thought of the reading and crafting I could get without them...the decision was easy.

End rant,

CR

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

I donated my extra balls and leftovery stuff to a prison in MA where people knit. Found the address on Interweave's website.

2:57 PM  
Blogger tiffany... said...

i recently went through my stash and narrowed it down to two big bags!
i gave all the other yarn to my little kiddies... they love knitting and will do anything to get their little fast hands on lovely yarn (hey... they even like the crap yarn!)
happy first week of june my dear!

3:10 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

We just got back from TNNA, and Stitch Diva had a great stash burner pattern for an afghan done in tunisian crochet. I'm looking forward to learning the technique and burning my stash.

Amy

4:27 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

i have made at least 15 hats over the last 2 years with those random balls in my (tiny) stash, most of them were super plain and given away. i bet you could make a small fortune knitting up some hats with those cute flowers.

i often wonder how much knitting/crafting i would get done if i couldn't look at everyone else's online whenever i wanted. probably a lot. ugh.

i hope you're loving the new place!

4:56 PM  
Blogger erasmus (aka jiva) said...

ipod cosys sell well, also small flowers and other small knit items. Hats are good but you can be more creative than just hats :)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Tina - omme i London said...

I HAVE to go through my stash as well, and give some of it away. I hate giving any yarn away without having made something out of it first...
Your idea of making hats and selling them at a market is an excellent one. Good luck - and get knitting!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I often sell yarn on Ebay. I think I eventually "grow out" of loving certain parts of my stash, and it feels good to get it to someone who will actually knit with it!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Huelo said...

YOU LIVE IN NORTHAMPTON. LET'S HANG OUT.
Maybe we could do some trading? I realize that won't help either of us cull our stashes, but, what the hell. Let's discuss it over beer. Or just drink beer and discuss something else.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home