Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

6.25.2007

She's Snoody...

Okay, sorry for the punny title but I couldn't help it, I love puns! I'm up late playing around with new Interweb tools after spending most of the day laptopless (I reformatted, all by myself--Eric, didn't think I had it in me, didja?

Time for a finished object!! It's the Art Deco Beret by Grumperina, from the fall issue of Knitscene. The yarn is Sheep Shop 3. I have a few hints--it is much, much easier to knit from two balls. I tried to knit from the outside and the inside (you alternate knitting with the beaded and non-beaded strand) of one center pull ball and it was a massive tangle fest. Another tip--look for knots. The unexpected knot on your beaded strand will BUM YOU OUT. When I was about 2" from finishing one ply finally gave out. I was at Eric's and the crafty engineer whipped out an old guitar string for me to use as a big eye needle. After carefully restringing my beads I knit about one round and found A KNOT. Knot cool.

Anyhow, the yarn is gorgeous and I love the fit, I'd wear this as a snood but blocking it over a dinner plate definitely yielded a beret shape. It was a fun, addictive pattern with a very cool cast-on...tubular-ish but I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate, it looks like it'd be great for socks. Now for tons of pictures!

My tribute to Emily (I think she'd like my golden mirror):

Over and OUT,

CR

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Very cute hat! I hadn't thought about problems with knots and a beaded pattern-- that must have been a real pain.

8:15 AM  
Blogger gobeartrap said...

Text Message from Cirilia

I reformatted my putertay. But its stuck and wont load windows. Its too hot to sleep!

9:50 AM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

Cutest. Beret. Ever.

And the dress looks sweet, too. Gotta love pockets on dresses.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Brit-Elin said...

beautiful hat with a nice form :) i lige your blog very much :)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

That looks so lovely on you! I haven't tried any beaded knitting yet but you have inspired me...although I'm super impatient so something that might get tangled and knotty may turn me into an ogre (known to happen)..also it's over 100 degrees here in Cali so the thought of a hat makes me feel sweaty(er)...ooh sweaty ogre...not good...I'll just admire you in yours!

1:26 PM  
Blogger grumperina said...

Ah, it looks great! I love the combo of yarn and beads you chose - you can really see the pattern nicely. I'm thinking of starting an Art Deco beret gallery - would you like to be included?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Oh good gravy! I wish I could pull off a beret like you do. That is massively cute.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I wish I could wear hats!!

I watched Greg the Bunny...Ed and I still pull out an ah-ig-it every now and again!! :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Adorable hat - it suits you perfectly! But honestly, what doesn't? :-)

I love Greg the Bunny - I liked "I think I just tore myself a new one..." but Ah-ig-it was my favourite.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Greeley said...

I love it.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

nice!

7:28 AM  
Blogger jenny c said...

Very cute beret! I love berets. Nicole and I went looking for the new knitscene but couldn't find it...

9:51 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Love the beret! Will the hausfrau dress soften up with washing??

12:30 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

that is so pretty pretty. you did a lovely job, too bad it's for the store, that color is great on you.

12:52 PM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

Looks awesome! I might have to pick up some of the Sheep Shop 3 tomorrow at work..

3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that hat is so stinkin cute. i think it is the perfect use for beaded knitting....i used to work at beader's paradise, did i tell you that?.. the color looks especially good with your dark hair.

yay for an fo!

6:18 PM  
Blogger jenny gordy said...

i absolutely adore that hat! it's gorgeous. i have always wanted to make a hat like that, but i don't really know how to knit very well. you're a knitting genious. love the dress too!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

so cute! Great color, and i love the beads. love all the photos

10:09 PM  
Blogger Mary Lou said...

Very cute -- knots and beads -- I don't know that I have the patience for that bead knitting business...

9:40 AM  
Blogger Nicole and Jenny (aka Stash and Burn) said...

I love the beret! And that dress (I am waiting for the pattern to show up in the mail). And Greg the Bunny! Just when I thought I would get a weekly dose of Seth Green on my TV, the dream dies.

Nicole.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Oh, I love Built by Wendy patterns! My favorite is for a blousy top with three quarter length sleeves. And that is a very adorable hat.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hat is beautiful and the colour suits you SO well! Your golden mirror reminds me of a similar mirror my parents have that I have forgotten about. I think they might not have it up in their new home so I might have to go and take it for myself. (Thanks for the reminder)

www.meli-mello.com

9:05 AM  
Blogger Marifetane hobi said...

hello friend..blog hopping..from istanbul in turkey..good days..

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home