Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

6.18.2006

Burned.

By Debbie Bliss' Firey Bolero in last summer's Interweave Knits.

This project made me it's bitch for the past couple of weeks. It was languishing on the needles for almost a year before I took pity on it recently. The finishing was kind of arduous, to be honest. Between picking up 250 or so stitches for the ribbed edging, screwing up the short row shaping on the collar and squinting like mad to see everything (still, I love black) it was a rough time. Get this, there weren't corrections for the part I screwed up--there were expanded instructions. Aight, whatevs...

I ain't mad 'atcha, D-Bliss. I didn't get to meet you this week because I was at my father's retirement ceremony, but I heard your fall collection is really something else. I have a newfound appreciation for your simple but totally flattering and wearable garments. And this Cathay! Like I say to customers, it reminds me of a great pair of jeans, soft and sturdy with a little stretch. Perfect.

Most valuable lesson learned--no more stairstep bind-off/decrease edges!! They are impossible to seam to my satisfaction. I've learned several ways to get around them (short rows, slipping first stitch of bind-off group) and thank goodness. I ended up doing a back stitch to seam parts of this puppy, vertical grafting looked like total crap.

This is a picture of the bolero being steam blocked. On my body. It's roasting in here. I'm not smiling, I'm baring my teeth at Summer.

Time to sleep (read: toss and turn and sweat and toss and curse and toss and turn...),

Cirilia

P.S. I'm sorry for not returning comments quickly, I've resolved to be better at that but progess is slow!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well it looks really lovely, and that's a good thing too seeing as you went to so much trouble to finish it! picking up 250 stitches...i hate picking up stitches! :0)

9:24 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

expanded directions...very inventive term. I must remember that myself.

Oh, the blessed heat and the mercy of a finished basement. Somnday I will live someplace mild and moderate and never gross and sticky. Seasonal changes, but not like this - ugggggh!!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Nice job. I think all the hard work paid off. You'll get a ton of use out of it when it dips below 90. I live in Mass, too, and had a similar night's sleep. Grr.

5:50 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

expanded instructions? funny. the bolero looks great on you. too bad this weather S U C K S and you can't wear it.
oh, and another reason to love cathay, i threw the leaf shirt in the washer and it still looks perfect! yay

3:57 PM  
Blogger honeybrown5 said...

The bolero is perfection....worth every once of sweat...you invested....I'll run the AC for you in VA...knit away in comfort....sleep peacefully....I've got a new webpage...memory failed me and I had to create a new one...I'll blog in this one this time...too much on my brain not to. You little sis' can't wait to see you...love, hb5 aka--mom

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home