Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

6.11.2006

Pic-tour of my weekend...

...which was just Sunday. But what a Sunday it was! Eric is constantly making fun of what he calls the "domestication of Ms. Cirilia Rose", but I have plenty to tease him about too. For instance, he finished staining the bookcase he made me:

I promptly filled it with knitting paraphenalia. I'm planning to get some particle board for the back...and I have some decopage planned, oh yeah! The stain (Bombay Cherry) matches the floor, totally intentional. My "real" books are still living in crates. See them pushed into the little corner there? Don't feel sorry for them! Stacked up they make a perfect little table for stuff like this:

Eric bought the tiniest grill and made delicious veggies, and lemon-garlic sauce. He picked a fantastic wine, too! For a non-carnivore he sure loves to B.B.Q.

None of his domestic activities can compare to this though:

Me, hanging clothes on the line, wearing the apron that Melissa gifted to me. Want to see how happy this makes me?

Today was bright and breezy and it was perfect for hanging up the laundry. Doing this makes me unspeakably happy. I don't know if it's:
  • the fact that I don't have to spend $1.75 on a weak dryer that barely does anything,
  • that I'm saving many, many units of electricity,
  • that I'm doing something that reminds me of my landlord in Germany and (imagined) pictures of my Italian predessesors,
  • that the clothes smell wonderful, and look ironed and starched when they come off,
but it is so awesome. There are cons, though:
  • I'm pretty sure the neighbors and passerbys think I'm weird
  • I kinda do feel weird hanging my clothes up so publicly, especially camisoles and stuff
  • bird poop!
  • wily squirrels!
  • really strong winds!
  • theft?
It'd be terrible, but probably moreso for the thief, since most of my clothes are from the Salvation Army or EONS old.

I was checking out the new Berroco patterns...I don't know, they're usually butt of every knitting joke but I have knit and enjoyed their patterns before and I think I'd do it again. I can see doing Addison, most likely severely downsized. And I flat out like Trixie. There, I said it!

We went for a hike today. I knit, of course:

Whoooa, check out those pale knobbly GAMS! Eric, who is suddenly Mr. Fashion Plate totally made fun of my get-up, but I didn't really care, all of my jeans were being dried economically by Mother Nature (thanks, Ma) and my skirt is a super practical skort. Yes, I am wearing a skort. Eric can just get over it. I think I pushed the limits with this though:

This little rock and roll fist-pump is actually me tugging more yarn free from my backpack. To me, odd stares=humble amazement ;) I was knitting with this by the way, #19 for one of these.

View from the top of the Amherst portion of the Robert Frost Trail:

I like this photo because you can see my future in it. Really! See the tall red building? That's the Library where I will spend many hours for the next two years. In fact, the books that I need are mostly on the top floor, so I get quite a nice view while I'm in the stacks.

Just a few more pics, for my parents (sorry everyone else =)

He is totally disgusted by my neon lemon-lime nails!

One last image of domesticity for the knitters:

A freshly organized stash closet! Altogether now, oooh, ahhh...

Cirilia

5 Comments:

Blogger MelissaKnits said...

I love hanging laundry. It's very rhythmic and peaceful. Domesticity is underated and undervalued. For those of us who find it a near vocation, there is nothing like rows of spotless canning jars full of jams, tidy piles of freshly washed and sun-dried laundry, hot bread from the oven, or the gleam of a spotless countertop. Except the smell and sound of a contented baby, that's about the only topper.

Are you fully domesticated though? Utter domesticity is only acchieved when the needs of others joyfully compel you to the tiniest and most unnoticed actions imaginable, so small and undetected and seamless that only in your absence do the members of your circle experience a profound sense of loss and a realization of your value and effort.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Huelo said...

Your stash closet is amazing. My stash is a tangled disaster that spans from one coast to the other.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Huelo said...

and p.s. aren't clotheslines incredible?

4:05 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

the apron looks great on you!
it looks like a fun weekend. i love the hiking/knitting photos. i always considered myself rather uncoordinated, until i realized i could walk and knit.

6:24 PM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

Holy Nostalgia!! Fashion Plates?! I forgot all about them. I used to love them!

You're not crazy for enjoying hanging laundry on the line. I used to live on a grassy hill and thoroughly enjoyed hanging laundry out between the two pear trees. What a shame if people can't find joy in the simple things. Having the domestically delightful apron helps though ;-)

Looks like you guys had a great weekend...

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home