Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

7.08.2006

Art shopping.

Yesterday I bought my first piece of official art. It's "just a print" but whatever. I'm still going to have such a good time picking a frame and a place to hang it. Posters are getting on my nerves. I sort of own a couple of actual paintings and they definitelyh class up the joint ;) One can be seen in the background of this picture (past the Radiohead poster):

I sort of got them in a "divorce" settlement...or...I just never gave them back. Way better than CDs or a huge sweatshirt, in my opinion.

That picture is incidentally my MySpace profile picture and has landed me ANOTHER modeling job. This makes the grand total of photoshoots FIVE. Why am I caps-locking? Because I tried to be a model already and it was a bust. I'd get scouted in malls and the like and when I showed up at the open calls the girls looked like beautiful aliens. I'm not making any eating disorder claims but they were all abnormally tall girls with the long gangly limbs to match. They look normal in magazines because they all share that body type, but next to them, I'm stumpy and guitar shaped. I was told I could be a plus sized model or drop twenty pounds and MAYBE get work. Sorry, I happen to love food and dislike cardio (I even dislike the word "cardio"). I did a few favors for friends in film school and then it was over.

Unti this year. The first Lexie shoot, then one for an emerging knitwear designer (that's still sort of secret) then one for the Valley Yarns catalog, now one for a friend of a friend's sister's clothing company, Dressed in Yellow, and then another Lexie shoot. What happened?? I really hope I'm not coming off as a braggart, I'm just in shock at all of it. The Dressed in Yellow shoot might yield some payment in the form of clothing just in time for graduate school, fortuitous, no? I wonder if any of it will help me look more like this little vixen:


Speaking of graduate school, I'm wholly looking forward to it. I met with my University assigned Buddy (stupid name, right?) and she was great. I feel like I have permission to stop worrying so much. I also feel like I'm doing exactly what I should be doing in terms of preparation and self-evaluation. I really can't wait to get started. I even bought a new notebook from my favorite DIY company Ex Libris Anonymous:


Too bad it was lost it the mail! I'm totally bummed because they include lots of pages from the original book and it would've been a trip to read this retro Communication text...oh well. Please order from them the next time you need a notebook, journal or gift! They're only $12, free shipping and you're simulatenously recycling and supporting crafters.

I think I'll sum up my D.C. sojourn another day, I want to get down to the Farmer's Market before work so I can grab a loaf of dark chocolate bread (believe me, it's good).

Love,

Cirilia

P.S. New favorite reads: Brooklyn Tweed and Giant Jeans Parlour! And don't miss Giant Jean's Anjali's food blog Delicious Coma! Links to the right!

5 Comments:

Blogger ginabeana said...

Twenty pounds!?! I just can't get over that. It really disgusts me.

Congratulations on your modeling. I followed you here from craftster a while ago and it was funny to see you in the WEBS catalogue--like I "knew" you or something.

9:37 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

ugh, blogger just ate my comment.

i looooooooove the print you bought, i would have snatched that up in a second, but i try to avoid etsy as i could go broke very quickly.
congratulations on the new modeling gig!

8:10 AM  
Blogger SpiderWomanKnits said...

That is so great that you are getting all these modeling gigs! Brag away ;-)

What a great artsy acquisition. I am very lucky in that both my father and brother are painters so our house is loaded with works they either threw out or stuck in some closet or something. It's all great stuff though. My brother actually worked out of the Brassworks for many years.

Enjoy your painting!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Adam22 said...

EW. I'll make you a good painting as long as you promise to take that one down. Congrats on the modeling work and humoring my faggy mother.

11:01 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I got my WEBS catalog last week, and there you were! Too cool!

Amy

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home