Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

7.12.2006

Hulked out.

Do you remember what happens to the Hulk after he Hulks out? He gets feeble and sick.

D.C. was mostly fun, but there are always issues when family convenes, and this time was no exception.
I am slow moving, ache-y jointed and generally tired, and I've been that day ever since I spent half a day yelling and bawling my eyes out in D.C. I thought "good cries" were supposed to release toxins and leave you euphoric, WTF?

I explored the District a little further, this time making it to Dupont Circle to find the National Textile Museum. Let me tell you, if I'd seen this aerial view of Dupont before I walked myself silly I would've saved 10 bucks on the cab I finally hailed to get to the Museum. I thought about how lame I'd feel if it was only a couple of blocks away but the long ride confirmed my utter lostness, and made me feel slightly better. What struck me about the Museum was a. how small it was compared to other "national" museums around D.C. and b. how modern some of the pieces looked! The motifs were graphic, geometric and simple, the colors were cool and complex, and they'd all look completely current adorning today's fabrics. The main exhibit was on embroidery, which interests me only so-so as it is chiefly a decorative art and I'm much more interested in the functional when it comes to fiber art.

Which brings me to some KNITTING CONTENT, finally.

What I knit on my summer vacation: socks for my little sister Jovon. I was knitting them for myself but the top was feeling a little snug so I just decided to gift them since she was checking them out as I knit them and said they felt "comfortable" when she tried them on. They are Gull Wing Lace socks from XRX's Socks Socks Socks/also here. I did a twisted rib at the top but other than that didn't change a thing. The yarn is Lorna's Laces in Gold Hill, a hard to capture color, it's like a melting bowl of rainbow sherbert. Ha ha ha--sherbert. Are you supposed to pronounce the 'r'? I don't think so, but I do.

Fun lace pattern, nice yarn and I only used 1 skein for a pair of socks to fit a 7 year old! AND I have a sizable ball leftover. It has been my goal for awhile to learn more about sock knitting and knit through my stash of sock yarns, I'm glad to be getting started with that. Next thing to tackle is toe-up since I really didn't like having left over yarn, and I really love long socks.


A bit of synchronicity: Eric and I watched Nova last night and heard this great quote from Issac Netwon: “I do no know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

And this morning I read this great post from Anjali.

And this weekend I'll get to visit La Mer herself when Eric and I go to the Siren Fest on Coney Island. I'm only really excited about one band this year (Stars) so I'm going to have to bring a good knitting project...maybe I'll run into some Brooklyn knitters??

Cirilia

Update: Oh man, I just saw a Humira arthritis commercial and a lady was knitting on the bus! The best part was that she was using bamboo circulars! I hate that all TV knitting is usually restricted to huge chunky yarn and big silly needles.

8 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

Don't feel bad, I went with my grandmother to the textile museum, and their hotel was just down from Dupont Circle.

We still managed to get a little lost and go around the long way.
But now I know better for next time! And we saw a ton of embassies, so that was neat.

7:19 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Your sis is going to love her socks. They look great.

Amy

9:10 AM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Good cries always make me want to sleep...

I added a NEW pic of you this morning, see if you can find it in the portfolio!

10:25 AM  
Blogger jess said...

oh, you're going to siren fest?? *SOB* i wish were going - i'd love to meet you (and to see scissor sisters and the stills). but alas, i'll be trapped in the library. probably having a "good cry."

family get togethers can be so dicey - for me, avoidance (i.e., living far away) always makes things seem better, but then when you go home family stuff slaps you in the face all the harder.

1:16 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

i hope you're feeling better.
i think the "good cries" are overrated, i always end up feeling like crap too.
the socks are great. i need to just suck it up and knit a pair, i'm not sure what i'm afraid of, but i am afraid.
have fun at coney island!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Huelo said...

oh man, so cute, and such a good pattern for variegated yarn. I got my Valley Yarns catalogue a couple days ago, you supermodel, you.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Huelo said...

ps I also find "good cries" exhausting, especially because mine are so often lubricated with cheap wine. I hope you feel better, although, is it horrible of me to admit I'm glad to hear that even models cry?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Huelo said...

Google was surprisingly unhelpful when I typed in "cashmerino" looking for scandal. Could it be that the rest of world isn't as interested in yarn scandal as you and I?

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home