Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

2.07.2006

Go Team Western Massachusetts!

So I joined the Harlot's Olympics, about an hour before the deadline. I wasn't going to do it, because I will be in California working at Stitches West from February 15th to the 21st, but I realized that this presents the perfect challenge, which is the whole point of the exercise. I think it's amazing that there are more knitters participating in this event than there are actual Olympians.

My challenge will be Teva Durham's Lace Leaf Pullover. I'm using Berroco X-Press which was about 2 bucks a ball at Webs several months ago. I've been meaning to knit this sweater for a very long time, and the gauge is so large that it should knit up quickly...maybe even before I leave for California? I'm kind of hoping so, because I want to pack VERY lightly, and this 2 sts/inch yarn doesn't fit the bill...

Other than that, I'm totally busting at the seams with design ideas and things I want to knit. I'm also having some sort of palette shift...perhaps because I colored my hair black, which it hasn't been since I was a little girl:

I usually reach for the greens, browns, rusts, etc. and now I'm really getting into blues and greys, clear pinks...it's weird, but makes sense I suppose. My co-workers and I give each other a hard time for always reaching for the same shades, but if that's what you find wearable, I don't see a problem with sticking to what you like.

So anyhow, it's actually pretty frustrating working at Yarn Mecca day in and day out. So many people tell me how jealous they are of my job there, but it's actually kind of torturous, it's totally "water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink". I'm just tempted all the live long day, and whenever RISD students come in it makes me wish I'd had the ovaries to go to design school.

Poor, poor pitiful me.

Cirilia ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Awwwww! We're you a cutie (still are BTW).

I'm sending good design vibes your way. I have a feeling anything you design I'm going to LOOOOVE. I think you have marvelous taste.

Amy

5:24 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Hey - up!

Picking folks at random from the ENORMOUS list of knitting olympians to say GOOD luck!!!

Elainexx

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home